Thursday, March 5, 2020

LENT 2020: Day 8

“I am reminded of your sincere faith,” says Paul, “which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.”
This is such a beautiful sentiment. And yet, despite having a seminary degree, in addition to an undergraduate degree in Christianity, I’m not sure I’ve ever studied this passage.
But we would all do well to spend more time reflecting on the faith of Timothy’s grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice.
I’m reminded of my grandmother, Estelle, who I called Nane. I spent the night with her every Saturday and went to church with her on Sundays. Each year, she read the Bible, cover to cover, switching translations to keep the words fresh. And she would tell me about it. She remembered everyone’s birthday, and you could count on her to show up to games and performances.
And I’m reminded of my other grandmother, Joyce, or Mema. I spent the night with her on Friday nights. I learned so much just by watching her and listening to her. She would take me to yard sales just to buy things for people she knew in need. A true servant, she would visit friends who physically weren’t able to clean much and do it for them. I still call her every other week.
I also think of Janie Pople, who we call Gran. When I moved to Memphis, the church was hosting Brinkley Heights Ministries in our basement while they built a new facility. I volunteered on the same day each week as Gran and was inspired as we talked. She was my wife’s honorary grandmother at our wedding and left such an impression that we named our daughter for her.
I could go on. We could all go on. And that’s just the point.

We all have a Lois, a Eunice, an Estelle, a Joyce, a Janie. We would do well to reflect on their faith so that we may absorb it and reflect it, so that it might live in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment